Shopping trolley services must not present a risk to consumer safety (the Consumer Safety Act 920/2011). Key safety issues include:
- ensuring the correct number of employees in relation to the amount of work and work methods;
- using safe methods to move trolleys;
- providing sufficient written instructions for employees;
- ensuring that employees are trained in their tasks and safety issues;
- informing customers about any precautionary measures needed and enforcing compliance with them.
Trolleys being moved must remain safely under staff control at every stage of the trolley service. The staff must also, if necessary, be able to use the various types of emergency stop and other safety equipment without delay. Consumer safety must take priority over any commercial interest when the collection of trolleys or other activity is organised.