Transport and import

Fireworks and explosives are transported several times during their lifecycle. Finished products are transported from the plant or imported into the warehouse of the importer, retailer or user. From storage, fireworks and explosives are transported to the site of use. Most of the transportation takes place on public roads where it is subject to the regulations concerning the transport of dangerous goods:

  • Operators transporting explosives shall have a designated supervisor familiar with the special requirements of the transport of dangerous goods, a so-called safety advisor
  • As a rule, the operator of the vehicle shall be in possession of an ADR licence, which is an addendum to the ordinary driving licence granting the right to transport dangerous goods
  • The vehicle in terms of technical properties shall be determined to be suitable for the transport of explosives in vehicle inspection
  • The vehicle shall bear the warning signs indicating explosive cargo: orange plate and label indicating hazard code.
  • A transport document for explosive cargo and written safety instructions in keeping with the type of cargo shall be included in the transport
  • The packaging of the explosives shall be approved for the purpose and shall bear the warning markings necessary to identify hazardous content

The importation of fireworks and explosives from outside the EEA is subject to import licence. Granting of licence is conditional upon notification of country of origin, quality and quantity, Division and storage arrangements.

Importers and sellers are the parties placing explosives on the market and they are liable for certain obligations under the statutes on explosives. Transports are supervised by the Customs and the police.