A supervisor of electrical work refers to a work supervisor in accordance with the Electrical Safety Act, who can be the electrical contractor’s electrical work supervisor or the supervisor of operation of electrical equipment. The supervisor must have a certificate of qualification.
The certificate of qualification gives the right to act as an electrical contractor’s supervisor of electrical works and a supervisor of operation of electrical equipment with the limitations set forth in the certificate of qualification. Before commencing operations, the electrical contractor appoints a supervisor of electrical works who possesses a certificate of qualification authorising him/her to supervise electrical work within his/her area of operations. The contractor makes a formal notification of the appointment to Tukes.
The possessor of electrical equipment appoints a person as the supervisor of operations; that person must have a certificate of qualification authorising him/her to act as a supervisor. The possessor of the electrical equipment makes a formal notification of the appointment to Tukes.
Certificates of Qualification
The following electrical qualifications are defined in the Electrical Safety Act:
- Electrical qualification 1 (S1) all electrical works
- Electrical qualification 2 (S2) up to 1000 V electrical works
- Electrical qualification 3 (S3) repair of electrical equipment
In addition to these, certificates of qualification (A, B, C, D) that were granted during previous legislation and were valid in 1996 remain valid in their granted scope.
The requirements for a certificate of qualification are:
Certificates of quality are issued by a personnel evaluation institute meeting the requirements of the Electrical Safety Act. Henkilö- ja yritysarviointi SETI Oy acts as such an institute.
The various combinations of education and work experience required for electrical qualification are found in Sections 12–19 and the Appendix of the Decision of the Ministry of Trade and Industry 516/1996 on electrical works, and the website of SETI Oy issuing the certificates of qualification.
The most common ‘rules of thumb’ with regard to the minimum requirements for the certificates of qualification are as follows:
- Electrical qualification 2 requires three years of applicable education, for example electrician’s basic degree, followed by three years of experience in work familiarising one with the building of electrical equipment and work supervision, and passing a safety examination.
- For electrical qualification 3, the education can be replaced by applicable work experience.
- Electrical qualification 1 requires at least a technician’s or engineer’s training, for limited S1 a senior electrician’s special professional degree.